Saturday, November 7, 2009

Academic Dishonesty

There exists compelling evidence that academic dishonesty on college campuses is growing. Some universities have “honor codes” that entail students signing a pledge by which they agree to complete their work honestly. Additionally, some campuses have ceremonies to publicize the signing of the codes, and they post reminders about the code around the campus (for example, one university has students sign banners that hang on display in selected buildings).

These code programs often include a judicial process whereby students serve on committees to review cases of students who break the code.

What do you think about the idea of “honor codes” on campuses? Do you think they would be effective in stopping academic dishonesty?


I think it does have its effects but I don't think it STOPS academic dishonesty. Why? because when some intends to do wrong things he or she will do it no matter what. Honesty is something of character and it all starts in our homes and whatour parents have taughts us. If a student who's never been disciplined or has never been asked to be accounted for his/her wrongdoing by his parents, that student will develop a habit of lying and cheating throughout his life because he/she does not have any sense of what morals are. The way I've been raised is to always be honest and pratice good ethics in everything I do. Everytime I'm researching for an essay I'm always terrified that I might be tempted to plagerize on my work(because we all at some point are tempted to be dishonest about things). But I just tried my hardest not to do that and remind myself that I am smart and that I can finish my work on my own abilities and not someone elses.

No comments:

Post a Comment