Saturday, September 12, 2009

What is propaganda?

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, propaganda is "the spreading of ideas or information deliberately to further one's cause or damage on opposing cause." Propaganda is not always a bad tool that advertisers use, good one's do exists. Like those that are from non-profit organizations that persuade people to join or support humanitarian causes. Last year, I was on my way home, tired from an exhausting day at work, I turned on the radio to a particular show I listen all the time and heard that they were asking people to call in and join the cause with Compassion International-to help save one child at a time from poverty. I listened to the whole propaganda about what Compassion was really all about, it truly touched my life and I did not hesitate to call in and join. That was a good propaganda that I'm thankful of ,because of it I'm able to know and write to a wonderful little boy name Banjo who lives in the Philippines. I've begun to love him and cared for him that it doesn't matter how far he is away from me, he is always close to my heart.
Of course they are other propaganda that does not have the same positive message. Like the bad propoganda that the media portrayed on celebrities or any other person that is famous,that persuade us to buy those magazines full of rumors and sometimes lies to harm their image. And, talking about image, propaganda is really at work when it comes to politics and that time of the year when we have to elect our next president. We are bombarded with ads and information about the ideas and proposals of those who are running for presidency. The 2008 campaign was very memorable because for the first time in history the youth was so involved in the elections and partly because they were so much propaganda that persuaded us to do that. This shows that propaganda is a powerful tool that can be used for a good or bad purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment